Here are some details about IVF Part Deux.
- We just finished Day 8 of the stimulation injections in preparation for the egg retrieval which is coming up probably at the end of this week!
- This cycle has been a lot tougher for me physically. The second Lupron Depot shot really did a number on me, and I have been off balance, dizzy, and fatigued for days upon days. It makes sense. The Lupron sucked almost all the estrogen out of my body (my estrogen level was less than 20 when we started this cycle), and now estrogen is pumping back into my body at warp speed. This IVF protocol is intense and aggressive, and my poor body is so confused.
- I almost fainted at my doctor’s office due to the above bullet point. That was kinda embarrassing.
- My belly looks like someone with a tiny fist punched me and caused bruises on both sides of my belly button. I have to do more shots than I did for IVF #1, and I am worried we are going to run out of room on my stomach.
- In other Lupron news, my hot flashes and night sweats are gone. I no longer feel so angry and troll-like. I imagine that normally it might take longer for the Lupron side effects to go away, but since I am amped up on fertility meds, maybe some of my side effects are disappearing at a faster rate?
- This cycle is going to be considerably more expensive than IVF #1. This time around I was under-suppressed due to the Lupron, so I am taking more drugs to get my follicles going. The under-suppression makes me nervous, but my doctor doesn’t seem to be too worried.
- Menopur shots burn like a mofo. After numerous painful experiences, L and I have found that injecting the liquid very, VERY slowly helps a ton.
- Last cycle, I was obsessed and paranoid about doing everything the “right” way. I listened to an IVF meditation CD. I did fertility yoga. I saw my acupuncturist. It was a picture perfect cycle…until it wasn’t. This time around, I am not doing any of that mostly because I have been so freaking dizzy. Also, I have done so much preparation for this cycle as it is, so I am just trying to chill out and let my body do its thing. I believe in my body. I am so proud of my body. I know that it is working its absolute hardest.
- My brave husband, L, gives me my shots every night just like with IVF #1. But, this time, we are having fun with it, and we play Daft Punk and Pharrell’s “Get Lucky” during the injections to cut the tension in the air. Playing music in the background really seems to help. Please oh please say we get lucky this round!!
Lastly, L and I are taking this time to just love one another and thank our lucky stars that we have such amazing families and so much support in our lives. This is a very special time for us, and we are taking it all in.