I’m updating on my withdrawals once again. I feel a duty to share my whole experience. For two and a half weeks, I had strong withdrawal symptoms, and it’s not over yet. I need to talk about this bad part in case anyone reading is currently deciding whether to go on anti-depressants as I’m writing this.
This is my withdrawal experience.
- I was originally on 10 mg. I was instructed to wean down to 5 mg, and then 0 mg. My doctor estimated I would be completely off my meds in about a week. I was told the process would be quite simple.
- The process was not simple. After going down from 10 mg to 5 mg (per doctor’s orders) I woke up every morning for almost three weeks with dizziness, a zapping sensation in my head, nausea, stomachaches, and fogginess. I could barely function, and was afraid to drive even short distances for fear I would endanger myself and everyone else on the road. I also felt an increase in anxiety (but no full on panic attacks), hopelessness, and depression (probably due to feeling ill for weeks).
- I finally called my doctor’s office to get to the bottom of this. I got a response that I wasn’t having withdrawals, and it couldn’t be the Paxil. Needless to say, I was furious. I marched into her office, torch in hand, ready to burn her ass.
- We met. It was actually a case of mixed messages. She apologized, and felt bad I felt so miserable. She stood behind her assertion that it was such a low dose that coming off of it would be fairly easy. I was in the “slim chance” category of people who are very sensitive to medication. Her scientific evidence for this claim was based solely on her personal experiences in prescribing Paxil. In all the years she has prescribed Paxil only one other person has had a bad reaction. I find that very hard to believe, but, what can I really say?
- We decided that I needed to wean much slower (duh), like 1 mg at a time. I get to be my own doctor, and decide when I can handle going off more. With my track record, I’ll be med-free in 2012. I’m kidding, I think.
- I got a prescription for Zofran to help my nausea. I also got a prescription for liquid Paxil. Liquid Paxil allows me to more accurately measure my dosage, rather than try and shave off portions of a tiny pill.