I was going to write a post entitled “Wifely Failures” and talk about all the things I don’t do right or all the shortcomings I feel guilty about as a wife. Then I thought, you know what? Eff that. (I have taken to using “eff” as much as I can rather than the actual F-word, because I am trying to improve on my dirty potty mouth. Bear with me, kids.)
But moving on, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, I’m sick of the doom and gloom. It’s all just too NEGATIVE. Sometimes it feels like it is easier to discuss all the things we aren’t doing than to give ourselves a little praise. I was thinking I would do a post about a few wifely things I am proud of. This isn’t a bragging session. Believe me, when you read it, you’ll understand. The list is just small, everyday stuff, but I hope these little things count for something.
(1) L has an abnormally itchy back. Therefore, he always wants a back scratch. He once told me that in college his friends that were girls (not actual “girlfriends”) used to give him the best back scratches. After I heard that (because I am a competitive little weasel) I made it my mission to be L’s best back scratcher. By showing off, I actually shot myself in the foot, because L became dependent on my back scratches. It’s seven years later, and L still gets his back scratched every day.
(2) I have already talked about how I squeegee the shower. I’m taking credit for it again.
(3) I listen to Eminem (one of his all time favorites) with him in the car, and when I hear lyrics along the lines of “rot in hell you stupid bitch”, I smile and say, “Nice, honey.”
(4) When he asks me, “Do I look fat?” or “Do I look like I gained weight?” I say, “No, baby. You look great.” I find it funny how men are taught to always say “no” when women ask them that same question. Men can be self-conscious, too!
(5) We both have this habit of peeling off our clothes at the end of the day, changing into PJs, and leaving piles of unfolded clothes on the floor. I spend a good amount of time folding and hanging both my clothes and his clothes almost every day. I’m not his maid, but it’s just a little way to show him I care.
(6) When I can, I drive out to his office and we have lunch together. It doesn’t happen every week, but I have made a habit of it.
Ok, now it’s your turn. Comment on a few little things you do for your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend that come from an unselfish place. Give yourself a little pat on the back, because being in a relationship is hard work.